June 3, 2011

Say Cheese

After eating about a dozen mini soy corn dogs and a bowl of peas and corn (to ease my guilt about the corn dogs), my boys announced that they were starving and wanted to know what they could have for a snack.

I asked what they wanted.

It was unanimous. Cheese.

So I pulled out a wedge of cheese I had just bought from Trader Joe's. Spanish Manchego.

They'd never had it so I gave each boy a cautious slice.

My oldest boy shoved the whole thing in his mouth and starting moaning immediately.

"Mommy, this is soooooooo good. Mmmmmm. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm!!"

My little one was more tentative. He watched his big brother to make sure he didn't keel over or start frothing at the mouth.

Then he took a bite roughly the size of a fraction of an atom – a pretty generous bite for him. He cautiously moved it around on his tongue looking skeptical.

Then he made his decision.

"Mommy, I LOVE it. I love, love, love, love it SO much! This is my most favorite cheese ever! Thank you for buying this for us! I love it so much I can eat the whole thing, and I won't even share with anyone because I'm so hungry for this cheese. I can eat every single bite and then still want more and do you know what? I am sad there are only three more days of school because do you know what mommy? I want this in my lunchbox every day. Promise me okay? Every day until school is done. And do you know what? I bet that mousies would even like this cheese - don't you think this is what mousies would like? Because I do. I like it so much, so much mommy. Do you know what? I know I like it more than you because I love cheese the mostest of all my favorite foods! (of which there are approximately two) Can I have more mommy please because do you know what? This is the best cheese I've ever had and, wait...who has more cheese me or J because he doesn't like it as much as me and so I should have more – I should always, always have more of the things I love – like this cheese. And treats. Do you know what? I want you to buy some more tomorrow. Okay? Will you mommy? Will you? Mommy, stop, is that next piece for me? Make that next piece be for me, okay?  I weally, weally hope it's for me because I am so hungry for more of this cheese..."

He paused to take a breath and another nibble.

While he chewed I said "Well, I'm really glad you like it so much."

He looked at me and nodded and then slid off his chair leaving a huge pile of "The Best Cheese Ever" on the table.

"Yeah," he said. "But not that much."

It's a Life Sentence on Facebook.

No comments:

Labels